The Global Ocean Forum is an international, independent, non-profit organization whose mission is to promote good governance of the ocean, healthy marine ecosystems, and sustainable development by:
- Advancing the global ocean agenda toward sustainable development for the well-being of humanity, in the context of climate change;
- Working as a catalyst to mobilize knowledge resources and organizational action;
- Fostering a mutually supportive global network of ocean leaders;
- Raising the international profile of the ocean, coasts, and islands at global, regional, and national levels;
- Monitoring the implementation of global commitments related to oceans, coasts, and small island developing States; and
- Mobilizing decision makers, stakeholders, and the public on global issues related to the ocean, coasts, and islands through dialogue and information sharing.